What is Case It?
Case It is a project providing a framework for collaborative case-based learning via free, open-ended molecular biology simulations (see below) and cases based primarily on genetic and infectious disease. The project has been supported by the University of Wisconsin-River Falls and funded by the National Science Foundation. Case It t won a Science Prize from AAAS for its effectiveness as a tool for inquiry-based instruction, as described in the essay published in Science magazine. Supplementary materials published with the essay provide suggestions for class use.
Case descriptions are in the student version of the Resource Manual, with associated DNA and protein sequences included in the download package. Contact Mark Bergland for access to the Instructor’s version of the Resource manual, which includes keys to cases and other information on case development and class use.
Case It v7 ( coming soon)
- Case It v7 performs common laboratory procedures on any DNA or protein sequence. It adds qPCR capability to existing features of Case It v6.07: SNP and expression microarrays, restriction enzyme digestion, gel electrophoresis, PCR, ELISA, Southern or Western blot, and dot blot.
- Case It v7 is integrated with MEGA* bioinformatics software and the MABL**and MAFFT*** web sites (see tutorial for video, pdf and Powerpoint descriptions of these features).
- Earlier versions of the simulation (v6.06 and v6.07) are currently available on the download page, with v7 to be added in early 2018.
- The Mac OSX version of Case It v7 is a Windows executable that runs via Wine Stable and XQuartz****, both of which are included in the Case It download package. This easy installation allows Case It v7 to run on the Mac exactly as it does on Windows, including full integration with MEGA bioinformatics software.
- The download also includes all DNA and protein sequences necessary to analyze cases described in the Resource Manual.
*Tamura K, Dudley J, Nei M & Kumar S 2007. MEGA4: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Molecular Biology and Evolution 24:1596-1599.
**Dereeper A., Guignon V., Blanc G., Audic S., Buffet S., Chevenet F., Dufayard J.-F., Guindon S., Lefort V., Lescot M., Claverie J.-M., Gascuel O. Phylogeny.fr: robust phylogenetic analysis for the non-specialist Nucleic Acids Research. 2008 Jul 1; 36 (Web Server Issue):W465-9. Epub 2008 Apr 19. (PubMed)
***MAFFT v7 © 2013 Kazutaka Katoh
****Acknowledgements for Wine (www.winehq.org) and XQuartz (www.winehq.org ). Copyright (c) 1993-2017 the Wine project authors (see the file AUTHORS for a complete list). Wine is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation. The XQuartz project is an open-source effort to develop a version of the X.Org X Window System that runs on OS X. Together with supporting libraries and applications, it forms the X11.app that Apple shipped with OS X versions 10.5 through 10.7.